Thursday 18 October 2007

I'll have to write about my amazing and awesome day that I had yesterday some other time because it would just take too long. But for those of you interested in my soccer experiences. I did make it on to the Wycliffe Hall Soccer Team. Wycliffe Hall is the school I'm connected to, and it is partnered with Queens College which is one of the major college's at Oxford University. So I made the team, and we had our first game today. This is an email I wrote my parents about the experience:

Well had my first Oxford Soccer game (Football Match) today. I'll tell you the bad news first. I am incredibly rusty... I'm horribly out of shape... my brain was mush, and for 3/4 of the game I was rubbish (garbage)... I played like a donkey and couldn't hardly control anything. "Thankfully" my team apparently isn't that good, so I kinda fit in. It was painful, and I felt old... it was like I had forgotten how to run. The first time I tried to turn on the speed, it just wasn't there. I really should have been working out and running or something. About the last 20 minutes, I could finally remember how to play, but it was embarressing. But the worst part, by far, was that I was incredibly timid. I wouldn't challenge for balls, I couldn't get any air, I didn't challenge, I was kind... it was horrible. Next game I first need to body up, and play like I care... I certainly wasn't myself out there today. We lost 6-2.

---BUT---

Knowing that I would be rusty, when I was asked where I'd be valuable I said, well I'm not very skilled, but I am quick... I'd do the least damage to us up front. At least I wouldn't give up goals. (Later I figured out I'd be much more valuable to the team in the back). And I really didn't accomplish much, although it is evident that plays do develop around me. When I developed something we got chances. So that felt good. I think it was a combination of athletics and American Fool-hardiness. After we were down 4-0 I said, hey let's not pass it back from this kick, let's just take it at them... so they tapped me the ball and once again everyone cleared out to guard for the pass, which never came... I just charged ahead, and got a shot off... it reinvigorated the team. So that feels good. In fact, of our dismal 6 shots on goal, 3 of them were mine. Which may just mean I'm being selfish. But all that being said the highlight for me was that one of our two points came from the speed of a certain Kansas AYSO Bluejay... that's right, my score streak continues.

In the last ten minutes, our team brought the ball down the sideline and crossed it in, the keeper went up for it and got his hand on it but it slipped through... it skipped across the goal mouth, and thanks to a burst of speed and some sliding maneuvers I got there in time to nick it in... it felt really nice. So Queen's College 1- Mansfield College 6- Tabor College 1-... a good day.

I'm still learning everyone's names, but it was a lot of fun, and I think I can make quite a few friends on the team, especially once I remember how to play this sport and get a little more competitive.

Something I didn't have in the email was that I did get two sets of grass stains... which always means something to the Voth men playing soccer. At least it means we were in the game. So two grass stains there dad. It was a very good day, but not half as good as yesterday. I'll tell you about that soon... which I suppose if you're reading this after I've posted it then it may be that you just read about it in the post above, in which case... what a cool day huh?

p.s. sorry about the shirtlessness in these pictures... it was really exhausting and the uniforms are long sleeves (English style).

No comments: