Saturday 20 October 2007

Today was some what adventurous. I reffed an Oxford women's soccer game between Queens College and some other team... thankfully, these teams were in a lower league within the University so we didn't take it too seriously. I let a lot of things go, and I can think of at least five calls that I just missed... but otherwise I think I called a fair game. I hope my parents would be proud. So I was happy with how it turned out. I've actually got some things done today as well. Also an interesting aspect of life that happened today was the finals of the Rugby World Cup in which England participated. So all over town tonight, its been a crazy frenzy of English patriotism and celebration. I don't know quite how the game turned out, I was planning on going to watch it with the Englishmen, but we were dissuaded by the fact that the game would only be played in pubs, and in the event that England lost, it could get pretty crazy... I was a little disappointed, but I trust the advice of those who've done this all before. I'll let you know what happened tomorrow.

But let me tell you about my incredible day on Thursday. (This is another exerp from an email home)

I actually woke up at a reasonable time, I didn't feel rushed, we had a group lecture (for the whole program) today that was one of the strongest most Christ-like messages I've heard in a long time. He was one of the foremost economists in the world in fact, this guy David Hays has such an impressive resume that he was the Assistant-Chancellor of Oxford University... needless to say this guy is a big deal. He came in to speak about Christian Economics and how can a Christian interact with economics... are they opposed to one another... it was incredible. He looked at Old Testament theology on wealth, poverty, and accumulation... and he hit a home run. It was the academic equivilent of seeing Babe Ruth point out where he was going to hit the game winning home run. He answered every question right dead on with God's message... we have to find "enough" not pursue all we can get... Christianity is incompatible with unrestricted capitalism, ect... we have a responsibility to see the poor provided for.. ect it was awesome!!!

One guy asked this economist a series of questions trying to cut himself some breathing room. "What if God just blesses you with the ability to make money? Is that wrong?" he asked. "No absolutely not," Dr, Hays replied, "This is about Stewardship... its not a matter that you may be blessed with the ability to generate wealth. This is a matter of how you spend that wealth, is it only on yourself, do you invest in companies that pollute, or oppress workers and so on, or do you spend your wealth in bringing up the weak and poor and like minded companies?" To which the kid said, "Well then how can you become a savvy investor if you are limited in the companies you invest it? How can you get rich otherwise?" Which we were all shocked at his shortsightedness and wanted to say, "THAT'S NOT THE GOAL!!!" but then he went on to ask, "Can't you enjoy the nice things in life if you have the resources? Can't I own my Royals Royce and have three houses if God's blessed me with the funds to do it?" And then Dr, Hays gave the purest response I've ever heard, "No." It was so straightforward, from one of the leading economists in the world! It was glorious. Anyway, his entire message rekindled the fire in me... which I needed.

Then I went from there and joined up with the Queens College/Wycliffe Soccer team. We have a game tomorrow, I should see the second half. Then I was discussing my soccer experience and it was overheard by an athletic director here at the University. She hired me to assistant referee a Queen's College Girls Soccer Match on Saturday. So that felt good to the old ego.

Then to finish out the day I went to my primary tutorial... which last week I got through okay but only because I bunted a lot of his questions, well not today. Today I swung and hit some real homeruns and zingers. I was prepared and organized and educated... I did real well. Last time I felt 35% prepared and lucked out 40% more so I felt about 75% successful... today I knew 75% and lucked out on maybe 15% I felt really well. It was a great day!

As you can see some of those events has since transpired, but it was an amazing day. It really reinvigorated me. In fact, one of my three assignments for this next week just got completed. However, I've been thinking a lot of my family lately. My Grandfather Denys, who I know has been following these blogs, has been a pillar for my family, and I know it has been difficult for us all as his time with us has been running out. If you're still listening to these words grandpa, I want to tell you that:

"Thank you for always supporting me... and I always wanted to make you proud when I ran hurdles. Thanks for always seeing me through to the finish line. Thanks for all the magic... thanks for the smiles... thanks for the tears, those were always special to me... I love you very much. This is what Jesus told his disciples: "Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God; trust also in me. In my Father's house are many rooms; if it were not so, I would have told you. I am going there to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am. You know the way to the place where I am going." John 14:1-4

1 comment:

none said...

that hays story is a classic. i guess that guy really is the colossus of commerce, the titan of trade, the sultan of stewardship....