Monday 12 November 2007


Alright team, round two... if you don't know what I'm talking about, read the blog below, I've split today's entry into academic (below) and social news. So here's been my social life the past week. Due to the fact that I finally feel comfortable with my work load (which will only last this and next week due to my long essay's immanent demand on my time) I've been able to branch out a little more with my social life.

Last week, Elaine, Johanna, Katie, and I made it to a salsa dance class that goes on in Oxford every Thursday night. I'm really bad at dancing and salsa dancing especially but I had a blast. Its sort of like swing dancing but different in a lot of respects. I'm sure if I could tell you what those differences were then I would have made a better salsa dancer, but sadly, I cannot. Whatever the case, we all had a blast and decided to continue our dance fever, but we're hoping to find a swing dance going on in Oxford, because we all felt that would be more our style. Don't fret Tabor, this dance was far off campus... and the next one I attend probably will be too.

Last Wednesday I attended an Oxford Men's Volleyball game and also an Oxford Men's Water polo match. My friend Scott plays Vollyball for Oxford, while Nick who went to Ireland with me, plays Water Polo for the Blues as well. The Blues (Oxford) won both! In fact, our water polo team is quite good. We stomped (and splashed) them good. In Volleyball we played Nottingham University, they were green, which I thought was appropraite. But I can't remember who our Water polo opponent was, and I wasn't allowed to take pictures so sadly I have none of the water polo match, but this is Alyssa, Matt, Joe, and I watching Volleyball.

Those were great fun, and since this has been my off week with papers, I've been able to sit in on discussions, and even catch a few movie nights with people. Its been a lot of fun. This picture is from Salsa night... Katie tried to teach me how to dance, and I tried to teach her how to take an intense picture... one of us was successful.

Like I said in the previous post (which is below this one) I recently wrote a paper on the Incarnation, which really put me in the Christmas mood. England doesn't celebrate Thanksgiving, which means there's no buffer holiday between Halloween and Christmas. Many decorations are going up and songs are beginning to surface. I too, feel the yule-tide spirit. As a result I've been listening to Christmas music. There are four songs that encompass Christmas to me:
1.) Stille Nacht (Silent Night)
2.)Shchedryk (Carol of the Bells)
3.) Oh Come Emmanuel
----and----
4.) O Holy Night

Well, I've found possibly my favorite version of O Holy Night, as performed by Seven Day Jesus. Their version seems to perfectly encompass what the message of the song is by taking a different approach to the line "fall on your knees, O hear the angels singing." Instead of building up, as voices typically tend to do in this section, the music cuts and we are left with an accappella approach which seems to fit perfectly. I love it. If your computer has Flash player 9, check out this song:

http://scottsmall.vox.com/library/audio/6a00ccff9823396ea500cdf3a6a499cb8f.html

Life is going great. Thanks for your thoughts and prayers and for reading along. Praise the Lord, go Bluejays, go out and serve.

This video is a continuation from the video below. It too is riding through the same park on the ride home, but I take a quick right to head towards my house... be ready.

No comments: