Monday 12 November 2007


I guess its been about a week since I last posted. Its amazing how fast life goes. Oxford is really becoming normal to me... 10 page papers, two a week... lectures, and tutorials are normal to me now. I'm no longer nervous to meet or discuss my thoughts. In fact, I really enjoy it. Its sad for me that I've only got another 3 weeks to go... that's no time at all. Although I do miss home and family a lot, I already foresee how difficult the transition will be back to the colonies.

This past week went amazingly well! I met with my primary tutor in Historiography. We discussed the life and history of Edward Gibbon. Gibbon was an English historian in the 18th century who was the first real modern historian. He valued truth, impartiality, and accuracy above all else. Which is exactly the attitude needed for the study of history. If that weren't enough he added style, making history a narrative instead of just a list of dates. He observed the reason why Rome fell, in fact his famous seven volume work is called The History of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire. Its an amazing piece of history and personally quickly making Gibbon one of my favorite historians.

Gibbon faced a lot of criticism for his work however because he pointed out that the decline and fall of the Roman Empire was partly the fault of Christianity. Many people, maybe even yourselves, argue this position, but I, for one, absolutely see where he's coming from. Gibbon was writing history, not a commentary on our faith, even though many take this as a direct attack on Christianity. Mostly, I view it as a compliment to our religion. Christianity is an empire toppling set of beliefs. When properly applied to any system of government it will inevitably eat away at that structure. Gibbon pointed out, and I agree, that Christianity placed in the hearts and minds of its true followers a belief that there was something more important than empire, and beyond the scope of territory and personal honor. He's absolutely right, and after 1000 years of that, the empire simply didn't have to survive for Christians. As a result, when the barbarians finally invaded there was not the same sort of dire feeling to maintain the glory and grandure of Rome... by this time people were more concerned about their individual city or nation-states... which coincidently is still where we are today.

In any event, it was a great study, I really enjoyed, and I like Gibbon. My tutor greatly complimented my thoughts up to this point as well. Here at Oxford, grades are levied in the same way that music scores are awarded in the states... not in A,B,C,D, or Fs but in I,II,III,IV. Students take exams at their schools and undergraduates typically receive no higher than IIs. However, my tutor seems to believe that my work is of I quality. This was a real boost to my ego (which I suppose as a fifth year Tabor student it ought to be of that quality). Needless to say, Tabor College does a great job preparing you for the world and even for higher education.

I also had an amazing time in my secondary tutorial. I've actually dreaded it since my first meeting when I really got stomped, but the second meeting had gone better. Well, I have continued that upward climb. This past week I wrote a paper on the Incarnation of God in the person of Jesus Christ... it was amazingly fun and it really put me in the mood for Christmas. While my past papers have been based mainly on philosophers, this was the first time I could really bat around scripture, and Gospel scripture at that. Many thoughts on the incarnation come from th Gospel of John and thanks to Del Gray, Lynn Jost, Dad, Caleb Stanton and Sam Flaming I feel like I have a good grasp of the gospels.


It was great, I actually could argue and refute some of my tutors arguments. I was much more prepared and confident. She levied an argument and I was able to refute, "It doesn't seem like John, in any part of his gospel, suggests that line of thinking. It is much more likely he is intending this..." It was awesome. Basically here's the point; the gospels are full of hints that Jesus and God are the same, you just need to look for them. Like when Jesus refers to himself as "I AM"... over 30 times in John alone. Its amazing, but our English translations don't always make the transition. For example, Jesus walking on water scares the disciples and the ask, "Who is that walking on the water?" Jesus replies, "It is I" (English) but the Greek actually says, "I AM"

Anyway, this is becoming a very long entry, and I have much more to tell, so I'll split it up into two sections.

Today's video is from my bike ride home a few days ago. This is the route through a park I take to get to my house... this is only at the bottom of the hill however, and about a half mile from my house.

No comments: